Trail mix is ridiculously simple to make; and incredibly versatile, in that there are almost an infinity of mixtures you can make with what you have on hand.
I was going camping recently and committed to bringing trail mix for everyone to share; I must have lost consciousness for a moment because my brain interpreted this as EVERYONE IN THE WORLD and now I have two large Ziploc bags of trail mix and a much emptier pantry. But I’m not complaining (much), because this was an awesome opportunity to clean out my baking cupboard and make some fun stuff at the same time.
DIY Trail Mix
YIELD: 8+ svgs | PREP: 5 mins | TOAST: 5-8 mins (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted, shelled, toasted or untoasted nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews, peanuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.)
- 1 cup unsalted shelled seeds (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.)
- 1 cup unsweetened dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, blueberries, cherries, apricots, papaya, pineapple, prunes, dates, etc.)
- 1/2-1 cups add-ins (chopped chocolate or chocolate chips, m&m pieces or baking minis, coconut shreds (sweetened or unsweetened), pretzel minis, popped popcorn, yogurt or chocolate covered raisins or nuts, sprinkles, etc.)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon or cardamom
- 1 pinch of nutmeg or cloves (optional)
- Optional: Toast all untoasted nuts on an ungreased baking tray for about 5-8 minutes in a 350° F/180° C oven. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Store in a plastic baggie or mason jar.
- Will keep for up to 1 month at room temperature, or several months frozen.
Optional: If you really need the extra sweetness, you can coat the mix with 2 T maple syrup, spread it out on a baking sheet and allow it to dry before bagging.