This lovely and distinctive cake is delicious and tart but not sour; for one, there are plenty of other flavours in the sugar and vanilla that help balance out the sourness, and for another, pink grapefruits are not nearly as sour as their white counterparts. This particular recipe is dairy-free, but there’s no reason you couldn’t use a dairy-based plain or Greek yogurt instead; it’s delicious either way.
Dairy-Free Pink Grapefruit “Yogurt” Cake
YIELD: 8-10 servings | PREP: 10 mins | BAKE: 50-60 mins
- 2 cups/250g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp table salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup/180g coconut yogurt, plain or vanilla flavoured
- 1 cup/200g light brown sugar, packed
- ⅔ cup/160ml vegetable oil (or melted coconut oil)
- ¼ cup /60ml freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice, strained
- Zest of 1 whole pink grapefruit
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup/120g confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp/30ml freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice, strained
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C and place rack in the middle of the oven. Grease a standard Bundt pan with non-stick spray and dust with flour.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, soda and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, brown sugar, oil, grapefruit juice, zest, and vanilla extract. Pour the entirety of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a large silicone spatula until combined; avoid overmixing.
- Spread batter into the prepared Bundt pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, rotating pan once halfway during baking. When a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, the cake is done; if the top of the cake is browning too quickly in the oven, loosely cover it with aluminum foil.
- Remove pan from the oven and set on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes; unmold cake onto wire rack and carefully stab in several places with cake tester or long toothpick. Place a large plate underneath to catch any drips.
- For the glaze, whisk the ingredients together and drizzle over the cake. Slice and serve.
Leftover cake can be wrapped and stored at room temperature for 3-5 days.