Sadly, the warm days of summer are a distant memory in this part of the world, but the one good thing about cold, snowy, drizzly, wintery weather is that hearty warming soups, stews, and chili come back in rotation at the dinner table!
This bright, colourful chili con carne recipe is simple enough, but delicious and filling nonetheless. I usually make a meatless version using TVP (textured vegetable protein) and vegetable stock, but I’ve had rave reviews from the meaty version too.
I like to ladle my portion over some hot buttered white rice, even though this is apparently sacrilege in many southern States. However, I stand my ground on this, as I personally cannot eat an entire spicy bowl of chili without my brain going on holiday and my gastric system trying to eat its way out of my chest, so I need to cut the heat with a bland substance to help ‘soothe the flames’. My husband prefers to eat the leftovers the next day on toasted hamburger buns, like a spicy Sloppy Joe. To each their own, or as I know it in French, chacun à son goût!
Slow Cooker Chili Con Carne
This delicious , filling chili will warm you from your toes to your nose! It’s great with a side salad with a cooling creamy dressing, or a more traditional cornmeal muffin or corn chips. This chili is even better reheated the next day.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (can be substituted with soy crumbles for a vegetarian version)
- 2 medium cooking onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced, or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 yellow or red pepper, diced
- 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 1 large tin (28g) canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed thoroughly
- 1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed thoroughly
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup beef broth, warmed (can be substituted with vegetable stock or water)
- 1-3 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced finely (optional)
- For serving: shredded cheddar cheese, thinly sliced green onions, sour cream, fresh cilantro (optional)
Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, onion and garlic, and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the peppers and red pepper flakes, and continue cooking with occasional stirring until the meat loses its pink colour and the onion is soft and translucent, about 10 min. Season with a little salt.
Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, and black pepper. Pour in the warm broth and stir the mixture until well combined. Add hot sauce and/or jalapeño if a spicier chili is preferred.
Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook 6-8 hours at low temperature. Alternatively, cook for 4 hours at high temperature.
When ready to serve, garnish each bowl of chili with a dollop of sour cream, cheddar cheese, thinly sliced green onions or cilantro.
One Comment Add yours
Sounds scrumptious! Will be making this today.