I can’t help it; whenever I’m at a restaurant that has this as a menu item, I invariably order it, even if it’s only me that’s going to be eating it. There’s just something about its warm, ooey-gooey cheesy goodness that calls to me every time. My thrifty Scottish heart isn’t too excited about the price of this appetizer, but now having this deliciousness ready at will in my own home is a delight! A dark delight…. 😦
Knowing how to make it myself in my very own home is a dangerous business (for my ever-expanding waistline); however, I pass this knowledge on to you all, in the hope that you will also be seduced by a) how easy it is to make, b) how far less expensive it is than in the restos, and c) how much appreciation you will receive from the other members of your family who will think you slaved for *hours* to achieve this culinary masterpiece! This is a great dip to add to your repertoire for those snacky times in between brunch and the Big Show Holiday Dinner.
Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
YIELD: six ⅓ cup servings | PREP: 10 mins | BAKE: 20 minutes
- 1 brick/230g/8oz cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup/80g/3oz full-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup/55g/2oz full-fat mayonnaise
- ½ cup/50g/1.8oz finely shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for top
- ½ cup/56g/2oz shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup/25g/0.9oz finely chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced (I recommend using a Microplane for this)
- ¼ cup/48g/1.7oz pimiento pepper, drained and minced
- ½ tsp/1.15g/0.05oz black pepper
- 1-14oz tin (approx. 2 cups/400g) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and squeezed to remove excess liquid, roughly chopped
- 1¼ cup/195g/6oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess liquid
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a small baking dish (about 4-5 cups) with non-stick cooking spray, place on a sheet pan, and set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, both cheeses, green onions, minced garlic, pimiento and black pepper together. Add chopped artichokes and spinach and stir well to combine.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle reserved Parmesan on top.
- Bake until thoroughly heated through and bubbly, with cheese starting to brown on top, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with toasted pita chips, baguette slices, or tortilla chips.