The title of this recipe is quite a mouthful on the best of days, but if you take the GF and DF out of the name it’s still a yummy quickbread that also makes delicious and substantial muffins. This recipe can also easily be made using dairy and regular flour and oats, but it’s nice to know that there’s something tasty out there for those who need or want to avoid gluten and dairy. Though I didn’t do this myself, you can substitute ground flax for the eggs and use vegan-certified ingredients for a vegan version.
I also decided to split the batter into two smaller loaf pans instead of one large loaf pan, to be sure it would bake all the way through; if you do this too, start checking for doneness at the 45 minute mark with a toothpick or skewer.
Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
YIELD: 8-12 servings | PREP: 15 mins | BAKE: 55-60 mins
- 1 cup/220g light brown sugar, sifted for lumps and packed
- ½ cup/120mL neutral oil (vegetable, canola, safflower, peanut etc.)
- ½ cup/120mL non-dairy milk of your choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 large eggs
- 4-5 medium sized (about 2 cups) ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups/250g gluten-free all-purpose baking mix (I used Robin Hood brand, but feel free to use your favourite)
- 1 cup/85g GF-certified old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup/170g dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp/14g baking powder
- ½ tsp/3g baking soda
- ½ tsp/3g table salt
- ½ tsp/1.5g cinnamon
- ¼ tsp/0.6g ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp/0.5g ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, milk, and eggs until combined. Add the bananas and mix well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, sift or whisk together the remaining ingredients until combined. Add to the wet ingredients all at once and stir until well-mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake, rotating pan at least once halfway through baking time, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling completely on a wire rack.
One Comment Add yours