This recipe is so simple and quick, you’ll wonder why this is even a recipe. The only special equipment you need is an air fryer (duh), and even the spices you can use are incredibly versatile and substitutable to your own tastes.
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
YIELD: 4 servings | PREP: 10 mins | COOK: 18-20 mins
- 4 medium sized (about 225g) chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 eggs, beaten with 2 tbsp water
- 1½ cups/190g all-purpose flour or cornstarch (or a mixture of both)
- 1½ cups/160g panko or regular dried or fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp/30mL total of a mixture of any of the following herbs/spices/seasonings: granulated garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, minced onion, lemon pepper, Chinese five spice, freshly ground black pepper, paprika, dried parsley, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried minced rosemary, ground sage, dried tarragon, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, lemon zest, Parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast for dairy free), red pepper flakes, Old Bay Seasoning, seasoning salt, smoked salt
- Nonstick spray (for the air fryer basket)
- Preheat air fryer basket to 360°F.
- Meanwhile, gently pound chicken breasts between two sheets of waxed paper (if desired) to an even thickness.
- Mix together the flour and/or cornstarch with your choice of seasonings, and spread on a large plate. Pour beaten eggs mixed with water into a rimmed shallow dish that will fit the dimensions of one of your chicken breasts. Lay out another shallow dish with the breadcrumbs, and a final plate that will hold the prepared chicken breasts preparatory to frying.
- Coat the chicken on all sides with the seasoned flour, then quickly dip to cover with the egg mixture, and then into the breadcrumbs, covering every nook and cranny, pressing firmly to ensure a good adherence.
- Spray down the inner lining of the air fryer and gently place the chicken breasts inside. Depending on the dimensions of your air fryer, you may need to cook in two separate batches in order to ensure a single layer of chicken. If you have an internal rack meant to be used with your air fryer to cook multiple layers at the same time, you can use that.
- Air fry for 18-20 minutes, turning once halfway through the cooking time. Larger cuts will take longer to cook.
- At end of cooking time, take internal temperature of largest piece with digital thermometer; it should read ~160°F (they will continue to rise in temp to the suggested 165°F once they have been removed and rested).
- Remove cooked chicken breasts and rest them on a clean plate tented under foil for approximately 5 minutes. Serve whole or sliced while still hot.