The last few days have been quite the whirlwind for me in the kitchen! Given the opportunity to use an amazing full kitchen while visiting family this last week, I took full advantage. From homemade macaroni and cheese to a pureed lentil soup for my mother, to a full dinner and dessert for a family dinner last night, I’ve happily worked my fingers to nubbins making delicious fewds for family…and enjoyed every minute of it.
Last night’s dinner was lots of fun; a homemade spaghetti sauce (from fresh Roma tomatoes, no less) with homemade pork and sirloin meatballs, fresh garlic bread and Caesar salad, and a delicious three berry crisp with French vanilla ice cream and whipped cream for dessert.
Can’t beat that.
- 4 1/2 cups fresh berries (I used strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries)
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon or cardamom, ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1 1/2 cups butter, chilled and diced
- 1/2 cups Turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Gently toss berries in a large bowl with white sugar and vanilla, and set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar and spices. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or two knives (I rub it in with my fingers, but hey that’s just me) until it’s crumbly.
- Press half of mixture into the bottom of a 9×13″ baking pan (glass is preferable). Cover with berry mixture, then sprinkle remaining crumble mixture over the berries to cover. Sprinkle the Turbinado sugar over top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown.