It’s the holiday season, and while this year we won’t/shouldn’t be gathering in large groups to celebrate the end of the year, there’s no reason we can’t have nice things for our families!
Dips are the perfect little luxury in such a situation; rich and flavourful, incredibly versatile, and a little goes a long way. Here is a lovely red pepper dip that just begs to have crudites, crackers, or toasted pita triangles plunged into its creamy depths and eaten with gusto. Or, if you’re a veghead like me, multi-coloured bell pepper spears, baby tomatoes, celery and carrot sticks, and cucumber slices work exceptionally well. Letting it chill out for 30 minutes in the fridge is the key to setting up into a dippable and spreadable concoction.
Roasted Red Pepper Dip
YIELD: six ⅓ cup svgs | ROAST: 10 mins | PREP: 5 mins | CHILL: 60 mins
- 1 cup/230g/8oz sour cream
- 1 block/½ cup/115g/4oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted and skinned OR 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ tsp/115g/0.04oz lemon pepper
- 1 tsp/5mL/0.2fl.oz soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 tsp/5mL/0.2fl.oz lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Combine sour cream and cream cheese together until well-mixed; set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, puree roasted peppers with garlic, lemon pepper, tamari or soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Combine pureed pepper mixture with cream cheese mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. For a spicier version, sprinkle top of dip with a pinch of red pepper flakes. Chill before serving.